Sunday 11 August 2013

Is today "Drive Like an Idiot Day"?

For the past five years as a driver, I must say that I had the most "fun" driving today on my way to karate.

Starts off in my back alley. To exit my back alley, I have to approach a T-intersection, which means I'm pretty much blind onto the "main traffic" that exits out of my alley. To combat this, I would usually inch my way forward until I can clearly see the road. 

And so I inched forward, and stopped since there was a truck driving down the alley. 

Okay. No problem. I'll just wait for him to pass by, since he doesn't seem to have his blinker turned on. Turns out, he was turning into my lane.

And since it was the back alley, thus there wasn't much space, thus he wasn't able to make his turn. So I backed up to create more space for him. Apparently that wasn't enough for him, so he backed up and allowed me to pass through.

Bit weird, but very kind of him I guess. And so I continued on my merry way. I reached another T-intersection and made my turn. As I completed my turn, a silver Mazda parked on the side of the road forced his way into the lane without any turn signal. 

Then I see the kid/young adult perform his shoulder check (after I hit my brakes) and stopped on the road, blocking up most of the lane. So, I drove around him and continued on my journey. Sure I could have let him go first, but it didn't appear to me that he wanted to move.

Anyways, smooth sailing for about 5 minutes until my next encounter. Some car wanted to merge into my lane, so he dangerously cuts the car that was in front of me. If I was tailgating that car, I would have rear-ended him. =/ At this point, I pretty much had my foot on the brake pedal for the entire ride. 

After a couple more minutes, I finally hit my first freeway. Speed limit on this road is 70 KMH, but the guy on the left lane decides to drive at around 55 KMH. I finally got past him and drove on. Next thing I know, I look into my rearview window and see a silver BMW tailgating me like heck... driven by some middle aged guy. He thought I was going slow (when I was going 10 KMH over the limit) and decides to switch lanes to cut me off.

Too bad that there was a car in the other lane going at the same speed limit as me XP.

And after he manages to pass us (by going onto the third lane), he is met by a red light. 

AND THAT'S NOT ALL I SAW!

Onto my next freeway. Speed is 80 KMH. Middle lane and far left lane cars were going 50 KMH. No sign of radar or construction or anything... 

And I finally reached city center. 

Oh look... another car that forces his way in front of me. =/

And that was that. I normally have leisurely drives to karate, but today took the cake... or however the saying goes. I never experienced so much bad driving in one day. I know I shouldn't complain much since I'm not the best driver myself... but today was simply ridiculous in my books.

I don't believe there's a full moon out either...

No comments:

Post a Comment