Monday 2 March 2015

Flowers for Algernon

Such a magnificent work.

I don't recall exactly how I found out about this novel, but I'm glad I did. I think it has something to do with a volunteering shift I had at PLC in which I was discussing novels with my Take Ten partner.

Either way, I obtained a copy of the novel on Saturday and finished reading it a couple minutes ago. It was a tantalizing read that I was unable to put it down the past couple of days. All in all, I wasn't able to fully understand all of the effort and hints that the author put down to display the development of the main character. I did gleam upon the rapidly increased intelligence, and the anxious-yet-knew-it-would-come regression of his retardation. It had a really large impact on me, especially when he started to lose his intelligence. It's a fear that I have as I grow old; the slow degeneration of mental capacities.

In a sense, and like always, I cannot do this book justice. Perhaps it's my limit, or, hopefully, my laziness that prevents me from writing down a rawer, more descriptive analysis of literary works that I enjoy. It's a book that I highly recommend to any individual; to experience what it could be possibly like to have a rapid increase and just as equally rapid degeneration of intelligence.

And for a while till the "euphoria" of discovering such a work, I will metaphorically lay flowers for Algernon.

No comments:

Post a Comment