Tuesday 28 June 2016

Student(s) crying on the last day of school 2016

This year went by awfully fast. Like I mentioned many times before, it's hard to believe that today is the last day with students.

Unlike previous years, I kept my students inside for the most part (my Science classes mostly) and had them watch The Martian. My rationale was due to utter chaos that typically takes place on the last day since most students think that since exams are over, they have free reign to do whatever they want. (Reminds me of one of my students shoving himself into a locker to go on his iPod. Good thing he was found quickly...). During lunch time, I versed a student in both the card game Speed and Chess. Apparently, I blew their minds in terms of my crappy shuffling skills and slow speed, but I guess their still young, being that they're just in grade 8. As for chess, it was a close game, but I managed to squeak out a checkmate after I successfully managed to trap my student.

As of course, a lot of students had mutinous looks on their faces as I told them we weren't going outside, or that they had to stay in my room to watch a film. I guess it was a sigh of relief for them, because yesterday we were watching Planet Earth documentaries. Also, fortunately, The Martian had enough humour to keep them entertained for an hour and 28 minutes (for I had my science classes for the double today).

Throughout the day, I had students, both present and past, come say their farewells for the summer. What struck me the most were two of my previous students, in my homeroom, that came to see me after the last bell rang for the 2015-2016 year.

These two students of mine were relatively good students. They weren't the strongest academically, but marks don't equate to intelligence. I taught them both grade 8 math, and they improved a fair bit as the year went by. After speaking for a bit, and wishing them well in the future, one of them started to break down into tears, with the other one about to follow suit. They left at that point, which had me feeling proud for both them and myself.

Not to brag or anything (okay, maybe I am), but I believe I had a fair amount of students come up to me and tell me that they're glad that I was their teacher, or that I'm the best teacher they ever had. Most of the time, I'm wary of what they have to say, for I'm certain that some are sucking up for marks. But for these two students, I have a hunch that they were genuine in their feelings. If I'm able to make a difference in a student's life, I feel like I'm doing my job. =)

But to get off my high horse, I have much to improve on. In the next couple of days, I'll write my experiences as a third year teacher.

So much bragging in one post!


Gifts I got today! 


No comments:

Post a Comment