Sunday 5 May 2013

I learnt something new today...

... that super glue is an exothermic reaction.

I started building my RG today. Things were going quite smoothly and I was actually quite pleased at how the grey turned out on the white pieces. I was initially thinking that the grey may have been too light in color, but it was a really nice shade!

After finishing both legs, I noticed that one of the anklet bracelets was a bit weird looking. I went to remove a piece from it...

AND IT SNAPPED!

<No Worries> I thought to myself since I had a vial of super/krazy glue nearby. I went to grab my vial and sat myself down. 

I removed the cap of the glue and placed the nozzle on one of the broken pieces. 

I squeezed

Nothing was coming out

I squeezed a bit harder...

And all of a sudden, about literally 2-3 ml of super glue squirted onto my hand. Out of instinct, my fingers shut together, and I realized I had a difficult time unsticking them. Also, a good portion of my upper palm was sprayed.

I then realized how hot my hand was getting, thus making me realize that super glue is an exothermic reaction (after double checking on google).

I spent about 10 minutes in the bathroom trying to remove the glue with vaseline and a nail file. I was fortunate enough to remove the big chunks of solidified glue. Unfortunately, my hand felt rough due to all the glue. After washing my hands about 3-4 more times with soap and water, I managed to get a whole lot more glue off! As of now, I just have a couple of patches left. ^_^

So lesson of the day: Wear gloves when dealing with super glue. It's a lot easier to chuck away a glove than to spend a whole whack of time trying to get it off your skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment