Sunday 5 January 2014

I learnt a valuable lesson today...

Make sure to double check boxes carefully!

After karate today, I went to help my mom exchange a cabinet at Home Depot. The cabinet we had initially had a panel that was structurally damaged. Fortunately, there wasn't too long of a line up to get permission from Customer Service to exchange our box.

We proceeded to the spare cabinets and made the change. Since the box was quite heavy, I quickly dropped off our damaged cabinet and picked up the top "new" box (out of the three that were there). It looked brand new to me, so I didn't bother checking the rest of the box.

After coming home and ate a quick lunch, I went to check the content of the box. At first, I noticed that one end of the box had some strange tape marks which made me suspicious of how "new" our cabinet happened to be. After pulling stuff out with my dad, we realized that I have picked up a used cabinet (pre-drilled holes into some panels, missing screws and accessories, etc).

Thus, I had to bundle up to tackle the cold again and head back to Home Depot. As you may have guessed, I wasn't really pleased. This time, when we arrived, I made extra sure to ensure to check the last two boxes from head to toe. Both boxes, I realized, didn't have any traces of tape on it. (The packages were factory sealed with glue).

After taking up one of the new boxes to Customer Service, I made sure, along with the helpful Customer Service representative, that the cabinet within the box was new. We took out the pieces and inspected each one. Fortunately, this time, everything looked fine!

So all in all, after spending a good afternoon today... I learnt to be extra wary of large items. And not to skimp out on checking them from head to toe... even if it's difficult to move!

No comments:

Post a Comment