Tuesday 12 February 2013

First Day of Final Practicum

It's nice that the school is quite close to my house and that it starts at around 8:50! I can avoid rush hour traffic, which is pretty sweet!

Once I got to school, I got to my classroom and sat at the teacher's desk, since my partner teachers don't use that desk at all. There was a lot of space for me to put my stuff! Soon after, the students started pouring into the classroom. I went over a customary introduction, though this time students also introduced themselves personally to me. It helped me with knowing names, but I wished I wrote down a seating plan! I think I can only remember about half of those names. =/

Math followed soon after, in which they went over surface area of triangular prisms. I actually learnt a formula for figuring out surface area. Essentially, it's taking the way I learnt in junior high, but just simplifying some steps.

During science class, I got the chance to show students my demonstration: elephant toothpaste. I was surprised that most students have never heard or seen of this experiment. Nevertheless, we had the chance to have a mini lesson on observations through the use of the demonstration (which was facilitated with the help of one of my partner teachers). After the demo, students continued working on the labs that were previously assigned.

And then the cycle repeated with another batch of grade 8s, except they had lunch and reading period between math and science. During their introduction, I made a seating plan, which really helped with memorizing their names! I think I have 90% of the names downpat! =)

During reading period, I helped one of my partner teachers with students who needed help with reading. During this time, I learnt how to use the text-to-speech function on macs. Having used a mac for the past 3 years, I never knew a function existed! I would say it's a useful tool and even I see some use for it in my own personal life. Instead of having to edit my work through silent reading, I can easily turn on the function and listen to the computer speak to me.

Finally, after science, was options. I worked with an individual on an graffiti-themed image for our science homeroom class. It was interesting to see how students were motivated to get work done when they had an interesting in the activity they were doing.

And that's that! I forgot to take a picture of the school. =/ Maybe tomorrow if I remember!

No comments:

Post a Comment