Sunday 12 November 2023

Day 35 (Aug 12) - Roll Cakes and Wagyu

 After a long day yesterday, I ended up sleeping in till around lunchtime. We headed out to a nearby department store for dim sum. There was a relatively long line to enter so we decided to grab some sushi at Sushiro next door. In comparison to Japan, the pricing and quality were quite similar. I felt the selection wasn't as vast, but it had all the types that I typically enjoyed. Once we finished eating, we headed back to rest before heading out for the afternoon.

Our first stop was to explore the space museum, but we were running short on time and the museum looked extremely crowded. We ended up skipping the museum and headed to another mall which housed our next event. Since we now had some time to spare, we grabbed a drink and people-watched for a while. When it was time, we headed to our class.

A few days ago, we made some Sumikko Gurashi macarons. For today, we learned how to make Swiss roll cakes that were garnished with rose petals. Unlike last time, I had to make my own. I think I did a decent job, though cutting my roll into three equal pieces and decorating it with rose petals was a challenge for me. Nevertheless, it came out looking somewhat like a roll cake. Once we thanked our teacher for the day, we headed back to explore the area we were in for a while. We had some time to kill before dinner.

We stopped by a Royce outlet to get some souvenirs and chips (regular chocolate ones this time). We then met up with one of her friends (and her friend's husband) before walking to dinner. We ended up having dinner at an upscale yakiniku restaurant that served Miyazaki wagyu. The beef was simply out of this world in terms of flavor. It also helped that her friend's husband was a professional chef. He ended up cooking all the food for us, making sure that each piece was cooked to the right temperature. I admit I was worried about what happened in Saga back in 2017, but fortunately, that was not an issue. There were different cuts from the cow, and despite my tongue being quite bland, I noticed a slight difference in how each piece tasted. I can't recall eating so much wagyu before, that I ended up upsetting my stomach from all the richness. Nevertheless, it was probably the best meal I had in Hong Kong thus far. 

Once dinner was paid for, we headed out to near the harbor. There was a whole bunch of people enjoying the night and buskers off to the side. A group of singers, with a pianist, really stood out to me - probably because they were singing Jay Chou songs. After soaking in the moment, we headed back to the metro in where we parted ways.

The trip back to her place was relatively short, and we were fortunate to get a ride from the train station. As for my night routine, I took a shower before calling it a night.

It's hard to believe that nearly a week has passed by for me in Hong Kong. Unlike Japan and Taiwan where we were constantly on our feet, it was nice to have a laidback portion of a trip, and where I actually got to learn a few new things. Now I just have to get the ingredients so I can make macarons (though I doubt I'll be able to do it successfully) and roll cakes (might be easier). 

This building caught my attention as we were heading to the space museum!


No comments:

Post a Comment