Tuesday 14 February 2012

David's Brief Top 5 Romance Dramas

It's that time of the year again! Happy Valentine's Day to those couples out there! Apparently there's a thing called Single Awareness Day as well?

Either way, I wanted to make this review post a lot longer... but I was preoccupied with... FF XIII-2. I'll get that essay done tomorrow! About 500 more words to go...

Well let's start off with my top 5. There won't be any synopsis or characters or pictures (except for my favorite romance drama). Just a plain old list and a little explanation for each one.

Normally, I don't enjoy watching romance dramas. They tend to be mostly about love-triangles, which I abhor. Personally, I find that love triangles are usually fillers and that those dramas usually contain idols that are used to attract throngs of people to watch the show. On the other hand, I do have to say that there are some romance dramas out there that have a love-triangle that can work, without it being the heavy emphasis of the plot. Without further adieu, I will present my top 5 now!



In fifth place: Tsuki no Koibito (Moon Lovers) [2010] - feat: Kimura Takuya, Shinohara Ryoko, Lin Chi-ling and Kitigawa Keiko.

Amazing first episode. It really captured my attention. The love story between a ruthless CEO of a furniture company and a factory worker in a place where the company is exploiting... or is it? Slight twist at the end, which I thought ruined the story for me. However, I guess you could say that it was scripted so that the particular ending (which I'm certainly not fond of) is the correct ending.




In fourth place: Hotaru no Hikari 1 & 2 (Glow of Fireflies) [2007 & 2010, respectively] - feat: Ayase Haruka and Fujiki Naohito

Great series overall. The main male lead goes back to his parents house one day (after on the verge of a divorce) to see that his father rented out the house to an employee. It was interesting to see the relationship between the main character and the main male lead. The main character is a slob (what they called a "dried women") and the main male lead is highly organized. After some time, the main male lead starts to have feelings for the employee/main character. It starts off as a manager/employee relationship, but love started to bloom from it. I have no complaints for this drama, but why did they star such an emotionless supporting male actor in the first season...




In third place: Yamato Nadeshiko (Perfect Woman) [2000] - feat: Matsushima Nanako and Tsutsumi Shinichi

A love story between a gold digger and a poor mathematician. The main character is looking for a rich man since she grew up poor, so she became a flight attendant (due to her long legs and pretty face). She was at a group date/meeting (goukon) where she met the mathematician, but assumed that he was rich due to the clothes and accessories he wore (which he borrowed from a rich friend).

The story was scripted with subtlety in mind. Nothing was done dramatically to create a melodrama. I don't recall how she eventually falls in love with him, but I remember that it was well done (vague I know). It was a nice story, showing how sometimes it's not all about the money, but the time spent between two people. Straying off onto a tangent; sadly though, this world does depend on money.




In second place: Kekkon Dekinai Otoko (The man who can't get married) [2006] - feat: Abe Hiroshi, Natsukawa Yui and Kuninaka Ryoko

To those who watch the Big Bang Theory show, the main character kinda resembles Sheldon. He doesn't really know how to interact with other people, though he has a high self-esteem (almost to the point of being a narcissist). In the first episode, he comes down with a stomachache, which prompted a call to the hospital. This was where he meets a female doctor, that becomes his "friend" to eventually his lover.

It's a comedic story, but with some heartwarming moments. The main actor and actresses did a wonderful job in their roles. It has a great comedic ending as well, but I won't spoil it to those who are interested in watching the series =P





Finally in first place: Bara no nai Hanaya (The Flower Shop without a Rose) [2008] - feat: Katori Shingo, Takeuchi Yuko, Shaku Yumiko, Matsuda Shota and a whole bunch of other characters that play a big part in this drama.

This is one of two series (the other being 1 Litre of Tears), in which I watch an entire drama series TWICE. I'm a veteran of around 120 series, and my policy is to never watch a drama series over since I could spend the time watching a new series instead. Bara no nai Hanaya is my absolutely favorite romance drama. It has a simple, yet captivating story line. Also, the OST is great. I really enjoyed the track, "Dandelion".


 The opening sequence of the first episode (as seen in the video) caps up the emotions in the series: a simple love story. The love story is between a florist and a "blind" nurse. Sure, they're loopholes in the story, but it is as though I'm not aware of it when I watch this drama. The main actor and actress did an amazing job to portray the relationship and to let it grow from episode 1 to 11. The last part of episode 11 was one of the most romantic scenes I ever seen in a drama series to date. (This was where they first kiss as well! =P)

I have not done this drama justice by writing this review, but if you're looking for a simple love story, this is the one to watch! Besides romance, there is some mystery to this drama as well. Why is there no roses being sold at the florist's shop? Why does the director of a hospital hate the florist so much? And so many more!

And that's all for me today! To finish it off, here's a picture/poster/promo of Bara no nai Hanaya

credits: http://topicstock.pantip.com/chalermthai/topicstock/2009/04/A7794217/A7794217-81.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment