Tuesday 10 April 2012

Tuesday Week 2

I think I did a lot today! I had such a jam packed morning! The first period was math, so I took around 4 students out of the classroom and taught them congruence of polygons (pretty much coordinate geometry). We went over reflections and rotations, but never had the chance to go over translation. I hope they don't have too much trouble with the math activity tomorrow, but I'll probably be there to help anyways!!! =P

After math, science was next. After a review of the organelles within the cell, I had a mini introduction to diffusion. It was a bit nerve-wracking to teach them this concept (though not as bad as microscopes since I'm starting to know these students more). There were times where I didn't follow what I had written down in my lesson plan. Also, looking back now, there were probably somethings I should have discussed and perhaps used some form of post-assessment to test their understanding. However, it was a really good experience for me, since I got the chance to conduct a longer lesson in front of the class and had an experienced teacher give me feedback. (I had a theatre play where some students acted the part of the cell membrane [more specifically, gates that represent selectively permeable properties of the cell] and molecules). 

After recess, I repeated the same activities with the next batch of grade 8s. We were able to get through translation and rotations with my next batch of math students, but I should have used more examples I feel =P. In science, after hearing feedback from my partner teacher, I incorporated her suggestions to the theatre play. It lead to some interesting conversation for a bit at the end of the activity, though looking back know, I could have probably used a bit more probing questions to get these students to talk.

After that long morning, I had supervision again and then lunch. Thank goodness that prep came right after, so I had a bit of an extended lunch. Afterwards, I helped my partner teacher prepare for a lab that the students are going to do tomorrow! It should be fun! They will be dealing with the concept of osmosis. 

The last class was leadership, but I went to go see a performing art class instead. I got the chance to see the grade 9 performing art students go through warm up exercises. This consisted of studying body language and a game called frustation. Frustration is where one person asks another person questions while trying to distract that person with some form of activity. The purpose is to make the person being asked questions, frustrated. lol =P

Once that was done, there was badminton practice. Today was all the doubles team. I got the chance to work with the boys doubles. After doing some drills, I let them play games, since they were all quite antsy =P

Ahhh, tired, so let's end it there...

credits: http://www.game-ost.com/static/covers_soundtracks/3720_480454.jpg

I really like the cover art for XIII-2's piano collection. It would be cool to have a crystal piano like this, though I guess a real crystal piano would have its innards shown to the entire world =0

Day 8: Badminton

Hmm, to be honest, I didn't like badminton when I was in elementary school. I enjoyed tennis more, since I found it easier to play when I was that young. I started liking badminton when my father took me to VSLC to play badminton in the summer before junior high started. One of the first shots I "mastered" was the smash. When I was going to grade 8, my mom put me into badminton lessons. This was where I started to learn new skills, though I tend to rely on my smash for the most part.

For a good chunk of junior high, most people my age weren't able to deflect my smash, though after some time, they started too... =P That was probably when I started losing my edge in the sport. It was at this time that I started playing badminton competitively. I never won any tournaments, but I did make it to the semi-final consolation at a city tournament hosted by the University when I was in grade... 10? I guess my brother and I were able to nab 3rd place at another city tournament back in the day. (Let's not talk nationals... ahha oh those players are soooo good).

Anyways, when I was in high school, I would train for about 6-9 hours a week in badminton. Once university started though, I quit training and played badminton leisurely for now. If I'm lucky, I can get in one badminton date every 2-3 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment