Saturday 19 July 2014

Day 14 - More Shinjuku and Odaiba

I've forgot to put the day on my last post!

Yesterday, my brother and I went to Shinjuku to look for a particular item for my mom. Unfortunately, we were unable to do so. However, we ended up buying a lot of snacks to bring home at the basement of a department store. I realized that most department stores (or maybe all?) have expensive clothes in the 5-7 floors that they have, but they have some awesome food products in the basement! I even managed to get my yakult (essentially Japanese Yogurt drink). 

We returned to the hotel to drop off our goods and headed off to lunch at a nearby Mos Burger. The burgers here are cheap, but really delicious. I don't know what kind of sauce they used, but it was an absolutely fantastic burger!

After lunch, we headed off to Odaiba, an artificial island off Tokyo Bay. My initial impression of Odaiba was extremely positive: it had a full scale RX 78-2 Gundam! We wandered around the mall, trying to look for the gundam museum. My main purpose for going into the museum was to find the life size Strike Freedom Gundam bust. Unfortunately, the museum was closed for the day for some unknown reason. I was really disappointed, but it kinda disappeared when we walked around and looked at the various models they have built. 

After the museum, we walked around Odaiba for a bit, waiting for it to turn dark. Rumor has it that the full size Gundam outside would light up and a special show would take place. But before we headed off to see the show, we wandered Into a Toyota dealership that was unlike Toyota dealerships in Canada. They had concept cars on display and even simulators for you to test out and compare a conventional car to a fuel cell car. I really wanted to try some of them out, but we arrived too late. =( After spending a great deal of time at Toyota, we headed off to see the rumored gundam presentation. 

Lo and behold, the rumors were true! I managed to record a bit of the presentation, but my phone ran out of memory =(. It was extremely cool though, the head moved, steam gushed out of its vents) and the cockpit actually opened to show a monitor projecting Amuro Ray (main character and pilot of the gundam). 

After the show we met up with the rest of our group and proceeded onto the giant Ferris wheel. Unfortunately, it was raining quite a bit so we couldn't take pictures from the top of the ride. It was a beautiful sight though, to be able to see Tokyo so high up!

After the Ferris wheel, we ventured into an arcade. There was a shooting range where you shoot cork bullets onto objects to score points. One of the prizes was a gundam model, so I had to play. Ubfortunately, we weren't able to knock off anything. (So much misfortune today!)

And that essentially marked my day yesterday! I'll probably have some time to blog about what I did today! 

 A FT-86/FR-S convertible concept!

No comments:

Post a Comment