Sunday 13 July 2014

Day 9 - Last day in Kyoto and first day in Tokyo

We woke up and checked out of the hotel. Afterwards, we walked to Nishiki market to buy souvenirs for our relatives. I wasn't able to find anything, so we walked to Ippodo (a tea place). 

There were various types of green teas that I never heard of, like gyokuro. I ended up buying a bunch of tea and headed to the cafeteria. Here, I tried a matcha that's exclusive to the Kyoto region. It started off very thick, but after you take 3 sips, they whisk the tea so it becomes less viscous. It was an expensive drink, but worth it in my eyes. I ended up getting my brother to buy some matcha to bring home. 

After shopping, we went to eat at a sushi place. It wasn't a conveyor belt place, so we were expecting higher prices. I didn't expect the final price however... About $20 for 6 pieces of sushi! Although, the toro pieces I had were the best pieces of toro I ever had! It was extremely flavorful and pretty much melted in your mouth; like a really good steak. 

After lunch, we went back to grab our luggage and went back to the station to ride the bullet train to Tokyo. It was extremely fast, and cramped since we had to keep our luggage with us. 

Upon arrival to Tokyo, it was an awe aspiring experience. I've been to Tokyo previously, but I don't remember it being this busy! Shinjiku station was full of people getting from place to place. After arriving at our hotel (and noticing how cramped it was compared to those in the Kansai region), we went out for more sushi. (This time, at a conveyor belt place underground.) 

And that essentially marked my day yesterday! We're on our way to Mount Fuji for our climb now, so I may not be able to blog till I get back to Tokyo. 
Inside of the bullet train

No comments:

Post a Comment