Friday 18 October 2013

Experience Share is surely a double edged sword

Ever since the first generation, I always had to have a Dragonite on my team. After fishing for nearly 20 minutes on Route 21 of Pokemon Y, I finally caught myself a Level 40 Dratini. Fortunately for me, it was a female, thus making it easier for me to breed a baby Dratini. I didn't want to train the level 40 one since it could have evolved to a Dragonair 10 levels ago, thus losing out on some potential points of growth.

Not that my baby Dratini is doing any much better at the moment...

I've been battling with Pokemon at around level 50, with my other Pokemon of course. Dratini has been just sitting in the back, gaining experience via the newly improved Experience Share key item and Lucky Egg (even more boost to experience).

Now don't get me wrong! I love the new Experience Share. It's great for getting through the game. If I'm not mistaken, each of your Pokemon that wasn't in battle receives 50% of what the battling Pokemon gets! In other words, it makes going through the story line that much easier, since you don't have to train as much. On the other hand though, it means Pokemon that aren't developed to their full potential (ie: EV training). I think what Nintendo is getting at, is that they know/believe that most people that play Pokemon whiz through the story and THEN get down to building their ideal team.

In other words, come up with a well balanced team, beat the Elite 4, and disband and start all over. But this time, breed for the perfect ability/IVs/whatever else they implemented and EV train like crazy. (Well that's my plan anyway).

I have to admit that it's going to be tough to EV train once again. For Pokemon Black and Black 2, I used Pokesav and made myself the perfect team (perfect IVs and maxed out EVs for EVERYTHING). Therefore, I was able to keep the same team throughout my entire gameplay.

Playing it legit this time, I will  have to, eventually, go through the vigorous EV training and perhaps even breed for good IVs as well. (I recall spending almost 60 hours to getting a decent Dragonite in Pokemon Pearl). It's going to be tough work, but it'll probably be more fun this way. As of course, since I don't really have all the time in the world when compared to my high school/university days, I won't be spending hours training! =P

No comments:

Post a Comment