Friday 4 October 2013

Song Ji Eun - Hope Torture Mini Album Review

Note: I got the album title off Wikipedia. To be honest, I have no idea what the proper title of the album is called. I've checked YESASIA, and they just stated the album as "Song Ji Eun Single Album Vol.1"

Essentially two and a half years after Secret's Song Ji Eun released her single, "Going Crazy", she is back with her first mini album! This album consists of three songs that I would classify as R&B.

1) Vintage (feat. Zelo of B.A.P.)
A mid tempo-upbeat piece that starts off with off beat (syncopations) and what starts like a DJ swerving a turn table. It's a pleasing song that doesn't sound like it's pushing Ji Eun's vocal capabilities. Zelo, a fellow idol from hip hop boy band B.A.P. raps in certain sections, but I can't say that his rapping suits my taste. Overall, it's a nice song to listen too, but I don't find it to be memorable.
SCORE: 6/10


2) Hope Torture
The title track for Ji Eun's album. This song is simply musical bliss for my ears. (When I first heard the intro of the piece, it kind of reminded me of Secret's Daddy Long Legs, for it had a similar opening with the guitar). This slow-mid tempo R&B piece has a wonderful instrumental track. The classical guitar can be heard throughout the piece, which I think gives this song a very soulful touch to it. I have to say that her vocals are flawless in this piece, and the same goes with her English. The final chorus contains a lot of her ad-libbing that demonstrates why I consider her as the Mozart of the Kpop world. I akin her voice to a crystal ball, pure sounding and clear.

Perhaps, one of her best works to date!
SCORE: 10/10



3) Date Mate
Upbeat piece with an electric guitar introduction. Song Ji Eun played a part in composing and creating the lyrics for this piece. What sounds like triplets, really help set up the piece for the chorus. When the chorus hits, I am ever amazed again to her clarity and power that exists in her voice. She may not be an Ailee or Hyorin in terms of power, but she did more than a satisfactory job in my belief. Overall, a great upbeat piece!
SCORE: 9/10



ALBUM AVERAGE SCORE: 8.3/10

A solid score for Secret's Song Ji Eun's first mini album. Despite my lack of interest for the first song, I believe this album has three strong tracks. This underrated singer has once again impressed me with her clear vocals and my current favorite piece from her: Hope Torture.

The only gripe I have with this album is the album cover.

They could have used an image, say like a teaser pic

credits: http://onekpop.com/i/2013/09/song-jieun-releases-nd-image-teaser-for-hope-torture-comeback_oeojr_1.jpg

But they instead, decide to use this...

credits: http://pop1gasa.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/307985.jpg

It's like they ran out of money to produce a nice cover for her after spending it on all those outfits for her music video.

Anyways, overall, great work from Song Ji Eun! For those who aren't too into Kpop, I think this album is a good start! For Song Ji Eun fans, it's a must listen!

No comments:

Post a Comment