Thursday 26 April 2018

Got a copy of the exam? No problem!

I admit -- I normally recycle exams since it saves me a lot of time. I may add/remove some questions year after year, but the vast majority of the exam is the same. My problem is, I normally give the copy of the exam to students as a way to study for their final exam. I always suspected that these students will pass down their exams to their siblings, and at times I will give subtle hints during parent teacher interviews that it's a way to study and that I don't make dramatically new versions of said exams.

Well today, I found out that a couple students took an old version of the exam and shared it with a bunch of their classmates. Now before you say, "you had it coming David", I have expected as such, and had a backup plan in mind. >=)

I created a who new written exam during my lunch break, and included material that was not on the previous written exam. (But still discussed/taught in class) When I actually distributed it to the students I have suspected of spreading the test, I could see the shocked looks on their faces as they were expecting something else entirely.

Fortunately, they admitted that they did what they did, and I thought that was enough of a punishment for them -- whatever mark they get on their written test. For the future, I'll have to make new versions of my exams (which eventually mean I'll be mixing exams to make another exam since there's only so many questions that I can write).

An interesting experience to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment