Sunday 25 November 2012

Philosophical Thoughts #1: Senses

Back in the day, I had these PhD blogs, where PhD stood for "Philosophical David". I have changed the title of these blog posts to "Philosophical Thoughts" since I feel that calling them PhDs do no justice to the actual degree. I understand now how difficult it is to get a PhD. If I do ever get a PhD, I'll lay claim to that title again... maybe...

TIme for the post to start! I'm going to write for 30 minutes and see how much I get down!

I started playing the piano when I was three years old. Throughout the 15 years of study, I never really appreciated the piano since I always thought of it as a burden. I would avoid practices as if it was the plague! Why practice songs that I don't really like when I can do something else, like play video games???

And so, that was one of the main reasons on why I got hooked with video games at a young age (not so much now a days). I'm sure that most other children were hooked with gaming and I probably was no different, but in the end, it has cost me my eyesight. (-675 in my left eye and -4.25 in my right).

Just recently, I was thinking to myself, and the idea of our five senses popped into my mind. It's something that I don't usually pay attention to, but I realized how important it is to have all five senses. Take for example, piano. I never realized that why I appreciate some songs was due to the the beautiful melodies that were composed. Just a couple weeks ago, I was at the Legend of Zelda symphony, and the overture just blew my mind away. I wouldn't have been able to appreciate the music have I not trained my sense of hearing. Now I'm not saying that my sense of hearing is far superior compared to normal people. Rather, I'm suggesting that piano has helped tune my hearing to appreciate the beautiful melodies in life. It's like how artists are trained to see beauty in the world around them (which is a reason why I started photography. I'm starting to notice beauty in small, ordinary daily things).

Now that I appreciate my five senses, I wished I have taken care of them better, especially my eyes. Part of it is genetics, I'm sure, but it could have been prevented if I took my doctor's advice. I don't recall how it is like without wearing glasses, but I'm sure that plastic lenses can't truly replicate what we can see with our naked eyes. I'm still grateful though, that I haven't lost all of my eyesight.

That brings me to the classical question of if we had to give up a sense, which sense would we give up? Back in the day, I would say my sense of smell, for I wasn't really keen in smelling things. I'm not sure if some sort of karma hit me, but throughout the past couple years, my sense of smell has declined dramatically. I am no longer able to detect whiffs of odor, unless it is very strong. Due to my decreased sense of smell, I now realize how much I do miss it. I can still smell things, but it does have to be strong enough for me to detect it. To give you an idea of how sensitive my sense of smell is, I cannot really smell the different aromas when I walk into Mac Hall and I have troubles detecting smell when I eat, until I bring it literally right up to my nose. It could be due to the fact that my sinuses have been clogged up ever since university started, but I never inquired about my "malady" with my doctor.

To sum it up, our five senses are wonderful, for it allows us to interact with the beauty that surrounds us on Earth. Something so seemingly small and insignificant , I think, can greatly lead us to appreciate the small things in life, for we are all constantly so busy with daily life. At times now, whenever I feel stressed out, I try to take the time and appreciate what my senses are bringing into me, whether it is the sight of the glass cat I have in front of me, or to listen to a favorite song of mine. I never truly appreciated my senses until now.



AND THAT'S TIME! I didn't take a picture, and there isn't a picture that I can find that really fits with my topic!

No comments:

Post a Comment