Sunday 7 October 2018

My graphics card may be a dud...

Karate was the usual, with nothing extraordinary taking place. After getting home for lunch, I proceeded to install my Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler (what a mouthful) onto my computer with my dad's assistance. Taking off the stock CPU cooler was relatively simple, but putting on the new cooler took longer than I expected. It took me a while to place the bottom bracket properly (had some difficulty snaking it into the heatsink) and landing it exactly on top of the four holes. After putting it together, I went to start up my computer, but it turned out that it wasn't working. It had troubles POSTing.

It turned out that I forgot to install plastic protectors/shields on some screws that were apparently short-circuiting the board. I had to remove everything and start from scratch. Putting it on the second time was a lot quicker (probably around 15 minutes in total compared to 40 minutes the first time).

Fortunately it worked after installing those plastic... thingys.. so off to overclocking! I started with overclocking the GPU, because apparently that's the easiest way to learn how to OC parts (besides monitors... can't be easier than pressing a button on a monitor). With the help of a guide, I downloaded the necessary programs to start the process. However, my graphics card did not come anywhere near what other people were getting in terms of OC'd numbers. GPU core clock maxes that people were getting were around 14%. My card was struggling when I upped the numbers by 5%...

It might be something that I'm doing wrong, but after playing around for a few hours, I gave up for the day. Reading that it may be due to a crappy power supply unit (I have a Corsair CX750M, which is pretty budget), I tried experimenting with just voltages going into my GPU. There were no crashes or artifacts with that, so I think it's safe to say that my PSU is able to supply ample power.

There's always tomorrow to figure things out!

No comments:

Post a Comment