Tuesday 2 October 2018

Record Breaking Snow Day

Waking up to nearly 20 cm of snow in front of my house made me feel like Mother Nature forget about autumn. (Apparently some areas got 40 cm).  Instead of going to work, I had PD today that started at 9. What normally should take about 30 minutes to get to on a normal day would, what I thought at the time, take about an hour.

It took nearly two hours for me to reach my destination. It didn't help that I was stuck on a section of Glenmore since a car broke down in one lane. The one km stretch to get onto Crowchild took nearly 40 minutes to get through. My left calf was starting to ache, along with my left quad due to all the start and stop traffic. I always felt sorry for my clutch from slipping it to inch forward in traffic.

I wasn't sure if I was able to park in the staff parking lot of the school where PD took place, so I parked about a block away. Since the snow fall was fresh, the neighborhood roads were piled high with snow. If I had to hazard a guess, there was at least 10 cm of snow. Fortunately, AWD ensured that I never got stuck (though I lost my makeshift undercarriage hole cover).

Being an hour late for PD meant that I had no idea what was going on for the first 10 minutes, until I managed to figure out where everyone was at during break time. I wasn't the latest one at PD, which made me didn't feel as bad. The vast majority of the PD session was focused around Markdown Language, which seemed relatively straight forward to learn. The session itself was harder than the other coding PD sessions I attended. It serves as a humbling reminder of how some of my weaker students feel in class when they don't understand what's going on in class.

We were let out extremely early due to traffic conditions. Going on was a lot better, with the trip only taking about 50 minutes. However, I was cringing with the way how some people drive in averse weather. I'm not claiming to be a great driver, but when it's slippery outside, tailgating and cutting dangerously is not advised. Also, if you're going to drive a lot slower than everyone, please stay out of the left lane, unless you need to make an upcoming left turn. Also, if all the traffic lights go out, treat it as a 4-way stop instead of just going whenever you feel like...

I planned to skip my workout today since I didn't want to deal with the crappy conditions. Shoveling heavy wet snow served as my 40 minute workout. Arms, shoulders and cardio: what more can you ask.

After marking online questions, I spent time playing MHW. We finally killed tempered Jho, though with the help of two randoms. Fortunately, they were pretty decent!

And off to sleep so I'm able to wake up early tomorrow. It's going to be crappy tomorrow as well in the morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment